Degrowth movement includes activsist, artists, poets, philosophers, scientists, scholars, citizens, politicians, civil servants, and many others. Join the movement!
Degrowth is a diverse movement with many exciting themes, activities and actors. Join the movement!
Finnish Degrowth Movement – Kohtuusliike
Since 2010 I have been active in the Finnish Degrowth movement, Kohtuusliike. It has been a pleasure to leran, organise meetings, engage in processes and discuss with others what degrowth means in Finland. Kohtuusliike has several activies. Follow Kohtuusliike in Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Via the Degrowth movement I’m involved with Meidän metsämme citizen movement that organises forest dialogues among forest related people and professionals who are interested in exploring ways to colive with forests during ecological crisis. Follow Meidän metsämme in Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Feminism(s) and Degrowth Alliance
Feminism(s) and Degrowth Alliance brings togather activists and scholars who are interested in feminist perspectives to degrowth and sustainability transformations. I have been member of the coordination group. Read our Collective notebook and Follow FaDa in Twitter.
Degrowth writing & scholarship
Degrowth scholarship is expaning in tis scope and volume. There are a number of great sites that publish degrowth news & texts, for example
“[T]he project of building a degrowth society can only start from fostering dealienation by reopening the possibility for workers control and economic democracy, from the workplace to society at large.“
Stefania Barca (2017)
Degrowth in my blog
- Join the discussion “Bridging the divide and embodying transformation”, 23.3., 2-3:30pm CETYou are kindly invited to join the first session of “Bridging the divide and embodying transformation – a conversation series“ on March 23rd, 2-3:30pm CET, online. Through a series of conversations, we aim to provide room among scholar-activists to talk about how one can wholeheartedly bridge the many divides that shape our lives. The online … Continue reading Join the discussion “Bridging the divide and embodying transformation”, 23.3., 2-3:30pm CET
- How to transform?While I’m writing this, Elokapina, Extinction Rebellion in Finland, runs an autumn rebellion in front of the Finnish Parliament House. Unsurprisingly, public debate has started again about the usefulness of their strategy: whether blocking one of the main streets in Helsinki, the capital of Finland, is effective or not. Will it repel potential supporters or … Continue reading How to transform?
- Degrowth, it’s time to get real – Reflections on the importance of everyday encountersAlthough politicians say they want solutions, they don’t need them as much as they need opening up disagreements.
- Open letter and petition: Europe, it’s time to end the growth dependencyNine years ago I attended the first high profile degrowth seminar in Finland. While I was new to the topic, the argumentation made sense and I became increasingly involved with the degrowth movement that debates and advocates for giving up on our cultural and political dependency on economic growth. In September 2018, there was a historical … Continue reading Open letter and petition: Europe, it’s time to end the growth dependency
- Browsing through books: Farewell to growth by Serge LatoucheSerge Latouche’s book Farewell to growth (translated by David Macey, orig. Petit traité de la décroissance sereine) is a classic in degrowth literature. I first familiarised with it in 2010, when I attended my first degrowth conference in Finland entitled Alternatives to the growth economy. It was a high-profile meeting organised by The Finnish Association for … Continue reading Browsing through books: Farewell to growth by Serge Latouche